Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

USS Alabama Battleship

What a gorgeous day we had today! The weather couldn't have been nicer - especially after the cold couple of days we've just had. It was sunny and over 65 degrees. A perfect day for going to see the USS Alabama in Mobile. When we left Maryland, Randy had said he really want to see this ship, so off we went today. I have to admit I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Your first impression of this ship is just how HUGE it is. Just amazing. And you get to walk through just about every part of it: crew quarters; eating areas (excuse me, the mess halls); gun turrets; captain's quarters; medical areas; ammunition storage, etc. And the size of that ammo!! Oh, my gosh! Of course, not all of it was as big as Randy, but you get my meaning.
Doesn't he look so happy!?!?!?!! He was enjoying himself, I promise!

At this site, there are also other historic planes and war memorials. The Korean War and Viet Nam memorials are very moving,
especially when you realize that the names listed are just from the Mobile area and there are SO many. The flags surrounding the Korean War memorial are from each of the countries that were involved in that war. There is a short history on each country's involvement in the war written on the base of the flag.

Randy & I are always so moved when we visit these historic sites. Here we got such a sense of humility just knowing what these servicemen & women went through to preserve the freedoms we so enjoy. I know that sounds hokey, but it's true. Standing on that battleship and seeing the skills it took to man that ship and the victories they achieved in war, you just can't help but be grateful. At least, I know I am. It's good to be reminded of what we have here in this country.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great time on ex-ALABAMA. I am the program manager for the Navy's annual inspections of museum ships located around the country. Love it when people enjoy their visits to these great historical treasures.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete