Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Strolling around Charleston

Yesterday we ventured into Charleston for the first time since we arrived. I was feeling much better and was getting a little cabin feverish. We decided we'd go down to the City Market area and just meander through. The City Market is several blocks long and, thankfully, under cover. There is the usual tourist junk - T-shirts, hats, caps, jewelry, etc. But, you can also find things that are native to this area. At each entrance there were basket makers, weaving their creations. Such gorgeous baskets, hangings, even pins. Watching them work is a treat.

After we walked through the market, we hit some side streets. Got to see Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., named for the company in the movie, Forrest Gump.
There was the oldest Powder Magazine still standing and a couple of beautiful old churches. I didn't want to see too much because we're taking a walking tour on Tuesday and I believe it will be in the same vicinity. But, one of the neatest things we did see (I thought) was the area where the Decision of Secession was made. I know it sounds corny and Randy looked at me like I was nuts, but I took a picture of the placque. There's a new building standing there, but I found it a little daunting to think I was standing in the place where a decision that had such impact on our country was made.

After a couple of hours in the heat, we were ready to come home. It's supposed to be pretty hot and humid the next couple of days, but by the first of the week the weather will be nicer. That will make our walk on Tuesday much more enjoyable!!

Take care. Be sure to spoil the moms in your lives. Until the next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment