Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

On Our Way South

Well, we left Maryland and family on Sunday and began our trip to southern Alabama. It's good that we leave from a campground and not from one of the kids' homes 'cause I'm not sure I could really leave if I had to be hugging on them as I got into the RV! It's hard enough to say good-bye the night before! It was a good visit, though, and we'll be back very soon - just three weeks!

On our way to our first night's stop in Natural Bridge, VA, we went through Harper's Ferry, WV.
I gotta tell you, the Potomac River at the MD/VA/WV never ceases to thrill me. Its power is overwhelming to me. I find it fascinating. Don't ask me why, but I do.

Natural Bridge, VA is right in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
We had a gorgeous view of them all the way down the road. They look so very different in their "winter coats" - I told Randy they almost seem hairy. I'm used to seeing them in their brilliant fall colors, but they are still beautiful to look at. We plan to take a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway next fall - I can't wait! That's gonna be an awesome trip!

Monday morning we set out for Tennessee and our next stop, Knoxville. We got to our campground, Raccoon Valley RV Park, around 2:30pm. This is one of our Escapees parks. I know you all just love that organization's name!! This is our first stay at this particular Escapees park. And it's very nice; a small park, but clean and level. Two very important characteristics for us. We will stay here for a few days, leaving Thursday for Alabama.

I hope to see a couple of historic sites while we are in Knoxville. One is a town called Rugby which is a little more than an hour north of here. It's called one of the Utopia towns that was founded by Englishmen who had no inheritance back home. From articles I've read, it looks interesting.

Another place I want to see is the Museum of Appalachia and it is just a few miles up the road. Some guy started collecting Appalachian stuff as a kid and kept it up and then, as an adult, began acquiring houses and tradesmen buildings and then set up a "town" on his property. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Will take lots of pictures.

That's all for now. Looking forward to some warmer weather! Have discovered I don't like 30/40 degree weather and have become spoiled. hehehee Take care of each other. Until the next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment