Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Learning the Dulcimer!

One of the big things in this park is playing the dulcimer. This instrument is the only one that originated in America - specifically in the Appalachian region. Many of the women in the park play and have corralled me into doing so as well! I must say, it is very enjoyable even though my fingers don't always do what I want them to.

Today we had a workshop led by Red Dog Jam, a couple named Jack and Mary (hence JAM) who are very skilled in this genre of music and instruments.
They play festivals, hold workshops and just love playing for the pure enjoyment of it. Of course, I was totally overwhelmed by it, this being only the third time I've played with others. I've practiced a bit, but am still far from being able to keep up with a group. I am going to take a few lessons this month and join in a group once a week. Should be fun!

We're going to the Gulf Shores Zoo tomorrow with a group from the park. I believe I've told you about this zoo before - it's the one that has the distinction of being the only zoo in the nation to have had to evacuate their animals twice due to hurricanes. And they didn't lose one animal! Animal Planet did a series on the zoo a couple of years ago and called it, "The Little Zoo That Could."

We've been enjoying the beautiful, sunny, 70 degree weather this past week. It's going to be a little cooler over the next few days, only in the 60s! Poor us, I know! :) It's great to be able to get and do some things.

Take care. Please keep in touch. Until the next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment