Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Grand Festival of the Bay, Fairhope

Well, our weather has changed dramatically! The temperature was 49 degrees when I got up at 6:00 this morning - what a difference! :) The forecast was for sunshine and mid-60s. Perfect, right? So, I thought.

Our dulcimer gig today was part of the Grand Festival of the Bay in Fairhope. Fairhope is a lovely town right on Mobile Bay. The flowers throughout the town are always full of color and arranged beautifully. We were scheduled to play at 10am in downtown under the clock. This location would ensure that we would be seen and heard by all who attended the festival.

In addition to our concert, there were arts and crafts vendors of all kinds set up on the intersecting streets of downtown. There was also a run scheduled for 8:30. We figured we'd get there early in order to get a parking place and just have a leisurely breakfast while we waited to set up. We rode with Ron & Ruth which made it nice.

Ron & Ruth picked us up about 7:45 and off we went. It was chilly, but we expected it to warm up quickly. We got to Fairhope, found a parking spot with little difficulty and went to breakfast. Several others in our group had the same idea and greeted us when we walked into Julwin's. After a great breakfast, Ron & Randy collected our instruments and other paraphernalia while Ruth and I went on to our gig location.

Vendors setting up

Okay, remember I say perfect weather? Well, the wind was picking up AND there was no sun on the corner where we were to set up. Boy, was it COLD! The sun was out, but our corner was shaded and would be through the next hour or so.

WINDY!

Most of us were set up by 9:30 or so, even though we were not to start until 10:00. We decided to start playing just to keep warm! There weren't many people at the festival yet as it didn't officially start until 10am, but we played anyway. As we played, the sun crept over the trees so some of us (not me, of course) began to feel the sun on them. The rest of us just gallantly played on. :)

Setting up
Mary Anne, our leader

As the crowds gathered, we enjoyed ourselves in spite of the wind and chill. It's always fun to play for an appreciative audience! All told, we played for an hour and a half. I had a great time.


Ron & Randy put our instruments away (boy, it's nice to have roadies!) and Ruth & I slowly wandered around the festival. There were some unique things as well as the typical paintings, jewelry, etc. The guys joined us and we finished our meanderings through the festival. At the college there was a birdfest and we saw a Redtailed Hawk. He was anxious to show off for the onlookers!

Walking around the festival
Redtailed Hawk

Before we left, I went into the library to see if I could get a library card. That is one of the few things I have missed being out on the road. But, I'd heard that Baldwin County would issue cards to us intinerants. :) Sho 'nuff, I walked out a few minutes later with my very own Baldwin County library card! YAY! I am so excited. I know, I know. It doesn't take much. But, now I can save a bit of money while I'm here. I love the library!!

We ended our day out by having lunch at Market By the Bay, a great seafood place. Nothing fancy - at all; but the food is delish and plentiful. All of us left very, very full. As a matter of fact, Ron & Ruth couldn't finish their fish. I think they have enough leftover for two more meals! And if you like hush puppies, this is the place!

Once home, I settled into the recliner and very soon found myself sound asleep. Guess all that fresh air tuckered me out. I sleep for over an hour and a half!

Tomorrow the hunt for a church continues. I'll let you know how it goes. Until the next time . . .

1 comment: