Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Campground Festivities

Each year our campground holds a Memorial Day ceremony. The owners, Greg & LeAnn Starner, do a great job of it. Greg emcees the short program and always reminds us that we live in a great country that was founded by ordinary men and women who had a love of God and freedom. There is a color guard that raises the flag and we recite the Pledge of Allegiance. For 30 minutes we focus on honoring those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom. It's pretty moving.

P1110671 P1110674

As the mother of a soldier, I am grateful for those who remember that this country is protected by men and women who give their time and, sometimes their lives, to allow us to live as we do. I am proud of our son, Kevin, and his wife, Sara, for giving themselves to the service of this country. I love both of them very much. And we are anxiously awaiting the day that Kevin is home safely from deployment to Iraq!

After the Memorial Day ceremony, it was time for the annual carnival. There were bounce houses, raffles, coin tosses, food shack, and lots of other games for the kids. For the next three hours, families went from booth to booth watching their kids have a blast. The pool was open, too; and even though the water couldn't have been very warm, folks didn't hesitate to jump in. I wold say a good time was had by all.

P1110678 P1110676 P1110677

I helped out during the carnival by manning one of the raffle tables. There were six brightly wrapped boxes and for $1.00/ticket you bought a chance to get one of the boxes. The drawings for all the raffles would be held this evening during the dance.

Yes, on top of all the other activities you could find today, the piece de resistance is the dance from 8pm to 11pm this evening. And yes, I am here at the rig posting this entry instead of being at the dance. I'm just not a party girl anymore. Actually, Randy isn't much into it, so I don't have a lot of oomph to go. But, I'm sure the folks are having a good time who are there. We can hear some of the goings on here at our site. :)

Other than joining me for the Memorial Day ceremony, Randy spent his day at the rig. While I was at the carnival, I don't know what he was up to, but once I got home, we continued to slog our way through the DVRd shows that got backed up during our time in Atlanta.

That's it for now! Not much on the calendar for tomorrow, just church. Monday we've got a cook-out with at our nephew's. I'm sure I'll have pictures to share!

Until the next time . . .

2 comments:

  1. WOW...they go all out. What a great way to remember those who have/are serving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...2 posts in 2 days... I am so happy!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete