Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Thanksgiving 2009 is now almost a memory and the after-dinner haze is beginning to set in. Figured I'd better post now or it wouldn't get done. I've got pictures to share, but they'll have to wait until we get home 'cause I forgot the camera USB cord.

We had a lovely dinner. Missy made turkey, candied yams, mashed potatoes, dressing, corn, and rolls. I contributed the green bean casserole. There were eight of us for dinner - Randy & I, Missy and her three kids, Aaron, Tara's boyfriend and Caitlyn, a co-worker of Missy's. There was much laughter and fun throughout the afternoon.

This morning Kevin skype'd in and we got to talk to him for awhile. It was good to see his face and his voice. Most often we just IM, but today we got to see him as well. He's just gotten back from a four day mission and is pretty beat. I am so grateful for the technology that allows us to communicate with Kevin even though he is thousands of miles away.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday; there are no presents necessary, just a time to be with family (if possible) and reflect upon all that has been given to us. I know there are many people right now who are hurting in some way: loss of job, loss of loved ones, relationships are a mess, major life changes, etc. But, I truly believe that, no matter your circumstances, you can find something to be thankful for.

I know it's easy for me to say that because right now life for me is outstanding, but I also know that in less time than it takes for me to write these words, that can change. And I hope, no, I pray!, that I will continue to hold on to God's hand and be thankful. Because it is God who is in charge, not me. Yes, circumstances in our lives can be crappy, but God is good. It is to Him that I want to turn when I am hurting. It is to Him that I want to hold on to when I can't hold on to anything else. And it is to Him that I will give praise and thanksgiving when life is good AND bad.

So, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because I choose to find something to be thankful for every day. And I am grateful that most days it isn't difficult to do so. Today I am grateful for eyes that see, ears that hear, and a heart that loves deeply. Today I am grateful for a husband who loves me unconditionally, kids/grandkids who I love and who love me. Today I am grateful that my sister is my friend. Today I am grateful that my parents are pretty darn healthy and active. Today I am just grateful.

I hope you are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment