Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Karaoke Valentine's Day

Such a great day today! The temps warmed up into the 50s and it was sunny. So nice after the dreary cold weather we've been having.

Randy and I went to church this morning and decided to go out to lunch afterward. I mean, it IS Valentine's Day. :) I know, any excuse. We called Mike & Gerri to see if they wanted to join us and they did, so we met at Big Daddy's. We'd not had a chance to really sit and talk with Mike & Gerri, just two on two since we've met them. I've chatted with them but Randy hadn't had a chance. Most of our interactions have been at the clubhouse where it's a riot of craziness. It was nice to sit and chat and learn more about each other. I think this is going to be a great friendship!

This afternoon we relaxed at home, watching the Olympics and napping. :) Isn't that what you're supposed to do after a big lunch?

This evening was the weekly Ice Cream Social, but with a little twist. Of course we're still celebrating Mardi Gras, so there needed to be some kind of chaos, right? After 175 or so folks got their ice cream, it was time for karaoke!! :) Oh, boy did we have fun.

Kelli & Chuck, the couple who run the karaoke, did a great job of getting folks involved. There were individual singers, but they also got the women up to sing "Queen of the House" which is to the tune of "King of the Road." What a hoot!

Then the guys got up and sang "King of the Road." We did this in honor of our Mardi Gras King & Queen.

It's too bad I don't have video of some of the performances. Our King & Queen sang (and I use that term "sing" very loosely) "I Got You, Babe" and "You're the One That I Want." I don't think America's Got Talent will be calling any time soon. :)

We do have some talent in the park, though. Larry & Glenda are wonderful bluegrass singers.

And Dotty Beaver is amazing; she is one of our oldest residents and she's got more energy than most of us.

Even the line dancing group showed their stuff.

I even got up and sang a couple of songs. When Randy & I first started dating, Anne Murray's "You Needed Me" was popular. Its words always reminded me of Randy. I always thought it would be great to someday sing it for him. And tonight I was able to! I think it touched him. I also sang Patsy Cline's "Walkin' After Midnight, " one of my favorites.

For one of the last songs of the night, a group sang "Dixie," the anthem of the south.

It was a fun night. More laughter than you know what to do with. We have found such a great group of friends here and enjoy spending time with them. Such a great life.

Tomorrow we'll have more Mardi Gras fun. It just never stops! :)

Until the next time . . .

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you all had a great time.Guess I'll have to try the Karaoke in public.Keep having fun and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete