Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Great News!

We got great news last night – Kevin will get home in time for his wedding!! Now, that might sound pretty odd to most of you, but given the past couple of weeks of the Army roller coaster, it is music to me. A synopsis:


Kevin's orders for his return to the United States had gotten mixed up back in May. He got orders to return during May which was a month earlier than his tour was supposed to end. He explained that to his superiors and they agreed a mistake had been made. Kev's plan was to re-enlist in mid-June for a specific duty station, Fort Lewis in Washington state. Fast forward to June 16 and Kev is preparing to re-enlist. Fort Lewis is now not an option because there are no slots available. Now, what to do. He had a choice of three bases and, after much discussion with Sara, it was decided he would choose Fort Riley in Kansas. Not a problem. He re-enlisted, got locked into Fort Riley and was told he would get his orders within a few days.


Now I have to tell you that Kev had warned us it usually takes about three weeks to get his orders and begin the clearing process for leaving Korea. You need to remember this later. :)


It's now Friday, June 20, three weeks before his wedding and Kev is told that he would probably get his orders in a couple of weeks. He cannot begin the clearing process until he has his orders in hand! UGH!! So after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (mostly by me!), and asking all of everyone I meet to pray, one of Kev's sergeants comes to him this past Sunday and tells him he's going to step in and “pull rank.” Apparently, this sergeant had been through something similar and knew what Kev was going through.


Bottom line : Kev got his orders by 10:30 Monday morning (which was 9:30pm Sunday our time) and is beginning the clearing process as we speak!! He has his itinerary to come home; we pick him up at Dulles Airport on July 9 at 4:45pm.


First, I want to thank all of you who have prayed for Kevin during his tour in Korea as well as during these last couple of weeks when I've begged for intercession on this matter. I cannot tell you how much I believe in the power of prayer and the appreciation I feel for each and every one of you.


Secondly, I gotta confess that I have lacked an enormous amount of trust in God during this time. I have been angry with God that He has not intervened and made this process easier for Kevin and the rest of us. I am ashamed of my lack of faith. Deep in my heart I know that God has a plan for each of us and it's the best plan. And I have not trusted Him for that plan for Kevin. So, as you're continuing to pray for Kev & Sara, I ask that you pray for me as well. That I will not have a “fair weather” faith, but one that is deeply rooted within my heart and cannot be shaken. Thanks again.


So, we begin our week with good news. Sara's been a whirlwind of activity, doing all those last minute things you have to do for a wedding. And everything's coming together. What a good feeling.


Hey, I know this is supposed to be a travel blog, but it's really about our life. And sometimes I need to write about life outside of our travels. Especially right now when we aren't moving around. So, thanks for reading and putting up with the ramblings of a slightly crazy, menopausal fifty year old woman!


Until the next time . . .

1 comment:

  1. I told my parents about Kev getting married, and they were FLOORED! And they yelled at me for not telling them earlier that he was in Korea so they could play surrogate parents for him.

    Good luck with the wedding planning!!

    ReplyDelete