Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Monday, January 10, 2011

What a Trip!

Okay, the plan was to break camp and leave Hardeeville around noon on Sunday. Yes, the plan “was.”

Randy went out around 8:30am to check the pressure in the tires. He found that one of the right rear tires on the truck was almost flat. Apparently, it picked up a nail or something. We figured we'd have to postpone leaving because it was Sunday and there'd be nothing open. Thankfully, we were wrong. Firestone was open and could fix the tire right away. YAY!

Randy got himself out the door and was back about 11am with a fixed tire. We continued with our breaking camp routine and pulled out of the park about 1pm. Not too bad, just an hour later than we'd originally wanted to leave. We were headed for a Cracker Barrel in Tallahassee to spend the night.

All was going well and we left I-16 and headed south on I-95. And that's where it all went kaBAM! Literally. It happened so fast, I thought we'd run over something. Well, we did. A deer. AFTER it ran into us first. Very scary.

Randy pulled over onto the shoulder so we could see what exactly happened and the damage incurred. Boy, were we lucky. Yes, there was damage.

Truck 1 Truck 2 RV 2

Yes, it's gonna be a pain getting it fixed. But, it could have been so much worse. The truck is drivable. The damage to the RV is minimal, so that's good. And we are okay. No damage to us. We were thanking God for His protection, I'll tell you.

We'll get to see how well our insurance company takes care of us!

We did get to that CB in Tallahassee, sometime between 7:00 & 7:30pm. We were both beat. Ate some egg salad I had fixed and climbed into bed.

This morning we got up around 7am, had breakfast at CB and hit the road a little past 8am. Gratefully, we had an easy, uneventful trip to the Plantation in Summerdale, AL. Thanks to the change from Eastern to Central time, we arrived about noon.

We were welcomed by Dick & Pat, Bob, and Darrell & Judy. J stopped by, too. It's so nice to be “home.” After getting set up, we spent some time catching up with Dick & Pat. Then, it was on to dinner at Darrell & Judy's. They were kind enough to feed us so we wouldn't have to cook on a travel day. And boy, was it yummy! Judy made her famous lasagne and brownies.

Now it's time for the weather to warm up!

Until the next time . . .


  1. Oh My GOSH! I am so glad you are okay! That must have been so scary! I hope the fixes come fast (and cheap).

  2. That is a bad travel day in anybody's book! Congrats to Randy for keeping the rig under control and keeping you guys safe. Now ... work on warming up that weather before we get there.

  3. Shows how much damage a deer can do, took that fender off like it was made of soft butter. Glad you guys are alright and the damage can be mended.But it's always a pain making the appointments and then waiting for parts and then hoping it will be much, much better than new when they are done. be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

  4. So sorry about the damage, but glad your OK an it wasn't more serious.....You made me lonesome when you mention Tallahassee,,,,we retired from there have lots of family and friends there that we miss. Then on to another one of our favorite places, the plantation.. Great place!! Enjoy and tell everyone hello from us....

  5. That is a lot of damage, but you two were very lucky indeed. Glad you weren't hurt, but the fun is still to come.

  6. glad you all are safe. Good luck in the repair cycle.