Thanks so much for visiting our travel blog. We hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we're enjoying living them. Let us know what you think - leave a comment or two.

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Chore Day

The first of the month is always a busy day for us. Since it's pay day (YAY!), I have to update the finances. Then we go to the grocery and do a big order. I try to have an idea of what meals I want to make during the month (usually the same ones from the last month!) and then make up a list of the ingredients needed for them as well as other stuff we need to replenish. By doing this, we only have to pick up a few items each week for the rest of the month.

We also go to the bank on the first of the month and cash a check for the money we'll need during the month. Since today is Saturday, we'll have to wait to go to the bank on Monday. We've found it best for our budget to use cash for many of the budgeted purchases, like fuel, laundry, and spending money.

I started the day off, though, in the laundry room. Saturday is laundry day and, since I have to use the park's laundry room, I like to get there first thing in the morning so I don't have to wait in line. I'm usually there by 6:30, so I'm done by 8:00! Not having a washer/dryer in the rig can be inconvenient sometimes, but most of the time I really don't mind. By using a campground's laundry room, I can get three loads of laundry done in less than two hours and be done for the week! Not a bad trade off.

Right after I got the laundry done, we headed over to WalMart to do the grocery shopping. This month is a big $$ month 'cause we had to get all the paper goods, plus printer ink and some water filters and a vacuum filter. Plus we had to stock up on the vitamins we take. Most of these item we only have to buy once a quarter. So, when the cashier rang up the total I was in a bit of a shock! Oh, well. It's only money and we're gonna eat good this month! :)

The bad thing about getting such a huge grocery order is that we have to put it all away when we get home! Sometimes that takes as much time as the actual shopping! :)

But, the rest of the day was just perfect. The weather was gorgeous, a breeze, bright sunshine and the temp was in the 70s. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. I sat outside all afternoon. I finished my cross-stitch project!! Then I read for awhile, and I finished my afternoon idyll by playing my dulcimer a bit. Just perfect.

Hope your Saturday was perfect, too. Until the next time . . .

2 comments:

  1. I can SOOOOO relate to everything you said in your blog today!! I too haven't made the decision to put a washer/dryer in our rig yet because I love being able to do so many loads in such a short amount of time and I too struggle with putting away groceries on shopping day. It's so nice to know I'm not alone in that.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate putting groceries away. But I love grocery shopping. Sometimes I'm tempted to leave them on the floor, (Where Lexi inevitably "helps" and puts them), until I'm hungry enough to eat 'em :)

    ReplyDelete